New sailors at Sail Sand Point must pass a Skills Test before using sailboats. Skills tests are conducted based on instructor availability and may sometimes be limited due to volume of skills tests currently being performed and weather, so please plan accordingly. Feel free to call ahead to see what availability is like. Skippers who are not ready to complete a skills test can sign up for one of our classes, private lessons, or take a free refresher lesson.
Some common clarifications:
- Only the skipper needs to pass the skills test (not crew).
- You need a skills test for each type of sailboat you want to rent.
- Skills tests can be taken during Open Boating hours, based on staff availability.
- Skills tests are for 5 knot increments of wind speed up to 20 knots. Sailors are checked out at the wind speed when they take the test, and anything lighter. In order to take the boat out in stronger winds, sailors must complete the skills test again including the capsize portion.
- Skills tests are FREE.
- Participants under the age of 14 must have a parent or guardian present to participate in Open Boating. The parent or guardian can be on the same watercraft as the child, a different watercraft on the water, or on land.
Sailboat Skills Test Steps
- Rig the boat without assistance
- Leave the dock safely
- Sail upwind (with 2-3 tacks)
- Sail downwind (with 2-3 gybes)
- Capsize and recovery (no dry capsizing)
- Return to the dock safely
Windsurfing Skills Test Steps
- Select appropriate sail and board for skill level, wind conditions, and body weight
- Appropriately carry equipment to carpet or beach
- Set up or check over the rig, attach to board, get it in the water appropriately without damaging equipment
- Demonstrate ability to stabilize sail on back of board, out of the water, and paddle upwind 25 yards
- Up haul, sail away from beach, heading upwind
- Tack 2-3 times. Falling or dropping sail is okay, so long as you can successfully reverse course and overall gain ground to windward
- Demonstrate sailing upwind on both tacks. (+-50 yards of each tack)
- Sail off the wind on both tacks
- Jibing is not required
- Return to beach and stow rig on beach (or carpet)