This is a new, volunteer run program at SSP. We are starting a windsurfing school and system to check out windsurfing equipment for sailing during open boating hours.
What equipment is there?
We have equipment for learning and sailing in light to moderate wind on the lake. As of mid August, there are 5 boards and 4 sail rigs. 2 sails are hung up in the paddleboard building by the water.
How do I get checked out to use the equipment?
The checkout process is similar as for SSP dingy checkouts, but tuned a bit for windsurfing.
- Set up the rig, attach to board, launch on the water.
- Up haul, sail away from beach upwind.
- Tack several times. Falling or dropping sail is ok, so long as you can successfully reverse course.
- Demonstrate sailing upwind on both tacks.
- Sail off the wind on both tacks.
- Jibing is not required.
- Return to beach and stow rig on beach
When can I get checked out?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a time. One of the volunteers needs to be there.
How much does it cost?
- All SSP safety rules apply.
- No sailing in southerly if greater than 10 knots.
- Wear life jacket.
- Only windsurf during open boating hours.
- Don’t sail further east than Magnuson Park point.
- Put all gear back the way you found it (even a little better)
- Parent must be present for kids less than 14 years old.
Are there classes?
See the calendar below for the schedule.
Questions? Email email@example.com